Johnson, Dixon, Turner return to Winston winner's circle
Houston Johnson won the USRA Modified main event.
One hundred five (105) cars checked in for the Bud Wilson Memorial presented by CSI Overhead Door as fans, drivers and track crew got together to celebrate the life of another dirt track legend that we lost to soon.
Track personnel gave the drivers a great track and in turn the drivers put on a great show for the fans that concluded just before 10:30 p.m.
After leading the USRA B-Mod national points for much of the season Shadren Turner found himself in second place last week. Coming into Saturday night at I-35 Speedway, he had once again claimed the top points position by just three points.
Turner went on to pick up his eighth victory at I-35, and 22nd overall in USRA competition.
Defending track champion Tyler Cadwallader put the pressure on but finished second, Michael Taylor III finally had a little luck on his side as he came home third.
Current track points leader Corey Myers finished fourth with newcomer Travis Peterson in fifth.
The Medieval USRA Stock Car points leader at I-35 Speedway, Jeff Dixon, motored to his third win of 2023 as he held off a stout field of cars to visit McCarthy Auto Group Victory Lane.
Doug Keller would the pressure on until he slipped a little bit high out of turn four on the final lap and came home second.
Randy Smith Jr.—a regular on Bud Wilson Memorial night every season—finished third followed by Brandon Dixon and Anthony Robertson as they continued their stellar seasons finishing fourth and fifth.
Houston Johnson had to slip past a couple of Hibners to claim his fourth USRA Modified feature win of the season.
Lee Hibner led from the drop of the green flag as his son Tyler Hibner, the track points leader and 11-time feature winner gave chase. Lap after lap, Johnson crept up to the back bumper of the Hibners before eventually making the pass for the lead and taking home the win.
Lee Hibner finished second, Tyler Hibner was third while Richard Layne and Brad Johnson battled each other as they had great runs, finishing fourth and fifth.
Congratulations to this week’s fan of the week Rose Peeler sponsored by Sponsors: Nic Hanes (Wild Child Racing), Hibner Racing, BK Racing, Shadren Turner Racing, King Racing, Bo Eads Racing, Scott Kunze Racing, Bud Wilson Racing Family, Show-Me Synthetics (Robbie Skipper), & Sims Racing
Join us next week for Walker Dozing night as we continue our race to the end of October to crown our track champions at I-35 Speedway.
United States Racing Association
Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series
I-35 Speedway, Winston, Mo.
Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver and hometown
1. (4) 89 Tyler Hibner, Chillicothe, Mo.
2. (2) 0 Richard Layne, Kansas City, Mo.
3. (3) 12 Andrew Thomas, Chillicothe, Mo.
4. (1) 31 David Coates, Bethany, Mo.
5. (6) 58 Terry Vantrump, Richmond, Mo.
6. (5) 92 Tyler Grooms, Trenton, Mo.
1. (2) 99H Lee Hibner, Chillicothe, Mo.
2. (5) 97 Houston Johnson, Kansas City, Mo.
3. (4) 18 Brad Johnson, Cameron, Mo.
4. (1) L75 Lane Whitney, Sturgeon, Mo.
5. (3) 12JR Jory Stotts, Gilman City, Mo.
1. (3) 97 Houston Johnson, Kansas City, Mo.
2. (2) 99H Lee Hibner, Chillicothe, Mo.
3. (1) 89 Tyler Hibner, Chillicothe, Mo.
4. (4) 0 Richard Layne, Kansas City, Mo.
5. (5) 18 Brad Johnson, Cameron, Mo.
6. (8) L75 Lane Whitney, Sturgeon, Mo.
7. (7) 31 David Coates, Bethany, Mo.
8. (9) 58 Terry Vantrump, Richmond, Mo.
9. (6) 12 Andrew Thomas, Chillicothe, Mo.
10. (10) 12JR Jory Stotts, Gilman City, Mo.
11. (11) 92 Tyler Grooms, Trenton, Mo.
MEDIEVAL USRA STOCK CARS
1. (2) 82M Anthony Robertson, Savannah, Mo.
2. (4) 7 Doug Keller, Easton, Mo.
3. (3) 53 Sam Luehrs, Lexington, Mo.
4. (1) 9X Anthony Manley, Osborn, Mo.
5. (5) C98 Colby Burger, Hoyt, Kan.
1. (2) 74 Rodney Schweizer, Kansas City, Kan.
2. (4) 88 Jeff Dixon, Trenton, Mo.
3. (3) 9H Nic Hanes, Trenton, Mo.
4. (1) 75X Randy Smith Jr., Hamilton, Mo.
5. (5) 3 Brandon Dixon, St. Joseph, Mo.
1. (4) 88 Jeff Dixon, Trenton, Mo.
2. (3) 7 Doug Keller, Easton, Mo.
3. (8) 75X Randy Smith Jr., Hamilton, Mo.
4. (10) 3 Brandon Dixon, St. Joseph, Mo.
5. (1) 82M Anthony Robertson, Savannah, Mo.
6. (2) 74 Rodney Schweizer, Kansas City, Kan.
7. (5) 53 Sam Luehrs, Lexington, Mo.
8. (7) 9X Anthony Manley, Osborn, Mo.
9. (9) C98 Colby Burger, Hoyt, Kan.
10. (6) 9H Nic Hanes, Trenton, Mo.
1. (4) 6T Michael Taylor III, Kansas City, Mo.
2. (5) 12 Jeff Stotts, Trenton, Mo.
3. (1) 18M Chase Moulton, Altamont, Mo.
4. (2) 25 Travis Peterson, Conrad, Iowa
5. (6) 2X Cole Hamilton, Archie, Mo.
6. (7) 59 Scott Kunze, Kearney, Mo.
7. (3) 16 Bobby Penney, Lawson, Mo.
1. (2) 56 Shadren Turner, St. Joseph, Mo.
2. (5) 69ER Tyler Cadwallader, Amazonia, Mo.
3. (4) 15X Corey Myers, Atchison, Kan.
4. (6) 33C Cole Moore, Kansas City, Mo.
5. (3) 52J Josh Barnes, Maysville, Mo.
6. (1) 48D Alex Dunwoodie, Braymer, Mo.
1. (2) 56 Shadren Turner, St. Joseph, Mo.
2. (4) 69ER Tyler Cadwallader, Amazonia, Mo.
3. (1) 6T Michael Taylor III, Kansas City, Mo.
4. (5) 15X Corey Myers, Atchison, Kan.
5. (8) 25 Travis Peterson, Conrad, Iowa
6. (9) 2X Cole Hamilton, Archie, Mo.
7. (3) 12 Jeff Stotts, Trenton, Mo.
8. (10) 52J Josh Barnes, Maysville, Mo.
9. (11) 48D Alex Dunwoodie, Braymer, Mo.
10. (12) 59 Scott Kunze, Kearney, Mo.
11. (7) 33C Cole Moore, Kansas City, Mo.
12. (6) 18M Chase Moulton, Altamont, Mo.
DNS – 16 Bobby Penney, Lawson, Mo.
Summit USRA Nationals nears: The 10th Annual Summit USRA Nationals powered by Chevrolet Performance returns to the "Diamond of Dirt Tracks" on October 2-7. This year's event will feature USRA Modifieds, Medieval USRA Stock Cars, USRA B-Mods, USRA Hobby Stocks and USRA Tuners.
Racers are encouraged to register online now at myracepass.com/usranationals or you can download the entry form here and then mail or fax your completed form. You can also call the USRA office at (515) 832-6000 to sign up.
Fans can purchase tickets online here.
USRA moving fast forward: For more than two decades, the USRA has attracted more and more racetracks and dirt track racers each year through fair, logical and cost-effective rules accompanied by an organization that puts the racers, racetracks and their fans first. During the 2023 Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series, more than 60 of America's finest dirt ovals will host more than 1,000 nights of racing.
USRA competitors can register online here or call (515) 832-6000 to register by phone. You can also download the application here and then submit your completed form by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at (515) 832-7958.
To learn more, check out usraracing.com. Follow our social media channels on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. Click here to join our email list and get USRA news and exclusive promotions delivered to your inbox.
USRA OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Beyea Headers, Chevrolet Performance, Christie Door Company, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, KS Engineering, KSE Racing Products, Mesilla Valley Transportation, Nitroquest Media, PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain, RacinDirt, Summit Racing Equipment, Sunoco Race Fuels.
USRA PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Allen Autosports Race Cars, ARMI Contractors, Boubin Tire & Automotive, Brodix Cylinder Heads, DAY Motorsports, Duvall Electric, Gunshepherd.com, Innovative AutoGlass & Window Tint, PBM Performance Products, Star 1 Roofing & Construction, Stealth Thru Tubing, Texas Locomotive Solutions, TNT Auto Parts, YouDirt.com.
USRA CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Bryke Racing, BSB Manufacturing, Champ Pans, Edelbrock, Hooker Harness, Hyperco, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, JE Pistons, K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers, Keyser Manufacturing, Landrum Performance Springs, MD3, Medieval Chassis, MSD, Performance Bodies & Parts, QA1, Quarter Master, QuickCar Racing Products, RacerWebsite.com, Real Racing Wheels, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Wehrs Machine & Racing Products, Wilwood Disc Brakes.
USRA RACETRACKS: 67 Speedway of Texarkana, 81 Speedway, Alien Motor Speedway, Ark-La-Tex Speedway, Arrowhead Speedway, Bolivar Speedway, Boothill Speedway, Callaway Raceway, Caney Valley Speedway, Cedar Lake Speedway, Crawford County Speedway, Cresco Speedway, Dallas County Speedway, Deer Creek Speedway, Diamond Park Speedway, Eagle Valley Speedway, Electric City Speedway, Elk City Motorsports Park, Fairmont Raceway, Fayette County Speedway, Gondik Law Speedway, Hamilton County Speedway, Humboldt Speedway, Hunt County Raceway, I-35 Speedway, I-90 Speedway, Lakeside Speedway, Lawton Speedway, Legacy Speedway, Longdale Speedway, Lucas Oil Speedway, Mason City Motor Speedway, Mississippi Thunder Speedway, Monett Raceway, Northwest Missouri State Fairgrounds, Outlaw Motor Speedway, Rapid Speedway, Red Cedar Speedway, Red Dirt Raceway, Rocket Raceway Park, Route 66 Motor Speedway, RPM Speedway, Sabine Speedway, Salina Highbanks Speedway, Sandia Speedway, Sports Park Raceway, Springfield Raceway, Super Bee Speedway, Thunder Valley Speedway, Tomahawk Speedway, Tri-State Speedway, Tulsa Speedway, US 36 Raceway, Vado Speedway Park, West Texas Raceway, Winneshiek Raceway.