Mitch Hovden finds his way into victory lane in a fair share of his races, but Friday night at the Humboldt Speedway the seven-time Medieval USRA Stock Car national champion got by with a little help from his friends.
His friends, in this case, were fellow former Iron Man Challenge champions Kyle Falck and Dereck Green. Falck stole the top spot away from Chance Hillman on the second trip around the 1/3-mile clay oval and led all the way until the final lap when he and Green had a disagreement about who should get the winner’s paycheck.
With the white flag waving, Falck and Green banged their way through turns one and two and continued their battle down the backstretch of ‘The Hummer’ with Falck getting sideways and then contacting green as both cars spun while Hovden slipped underneath to take the lead.
The 25th and final lap was the only one that Hovden led but it was worth $1,000 to the Decorah, Iowa, ace. Hillman and Kevin Donlan finished second and third to produce an all-Iowa podium while 16th-starting Gary Donaldson fought his way into fourth with 15th-starting Doug Keller fifth.
Colorado’s Angel Munoz was sixth, Brayden Gjere of Minnesota was seventh. Kansas City racers Chad Walker and Thomas Ground wound up eighth and ninth. Jason Josselyn of Alamogordo, New Mexico, passed 14 cars to get the final spot among the top 10.
Super Saturday show starts soon: With two complete shows on tap, USRA Modifieds and Medieval USRA Stock Cars will share the spotlight with B-Mods and USMTS Modifieds for a marathon Saturday that will satisfy the horsepower hunger for any diehard race fan.
The morning show starts at 10 a.m. Grandstands open and the pits will be cleared at 8 a.m. Rise ‘n’ shine racing will feature a complete show of USRA Modifieds ($2,000 to win) and Medieval USRA Stock Cars ($750 to win)—both of which were postponed Thursday. B-Mods will duel in dual qualifying heats which were originally slated for Friday.
All those entering the pits Saturday morning must purchase a pit pass for both shows ($80 for those 11 and older, $50 for kids ages 6-10). Pit passes may be purchased for the evening show only, but not until after the morning show is completed. On the spectator side, grandstands will be cleared following the morning show.
Saturday evening’s championship program starts at 7 p.m. Medieval USRA Stock Cars will be racing for $1,200 to win while B-Mods compete in last chance races and the $10,000-to-win finale of Battle at The Bullring VI. Meanwhile, USMTS Modifieds will have a complete show of qualifying heats and feature races with the awarding of a $20,000 paycheck to the winner of King of America X powered by Summit.
Competitors in the Medieval USRA Stock Cars will earn Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series national points in all three programs this weekend. National points are also up for grabs for USRA Modified racers in Saturday’s post-dawn throwdown.
Tickets for Saturday morning’s show are $25 for general admission while seniors (62+) are $20. Tickets for Saturday evening’s show are $30 for general admission or $25 for seniors (62+). Kids ages 6-12 get in for $10 at all three shows. Pit passes are $40 Friday while kids ages 6-10 are $25. Children under 6 years of age get into the grandstands or pits FREE all weekend.
If you can’t be at the Humboldt Speedway in person, you can still enjoy every lap of every race in every division on every night of King of America X and Battle at The Bullring VI driven by G-Style Transport at racindirt.tv.
The Humboldt Speedway is located 0.1 mile west of US 169 at the Humboldt Exit, then 0.5 mile south, then 0.9 mile east on Georgia Rd. (1663 Georgia Rd, Humboldt, KS 66748). For more information, call (620) 431-2470 or visit humboldtspeedway.com.
Visit usraracing.com for schedules, points, photos, souvenirs, videos and more. Follow our social media channels on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. Click here to get USRA news delivered to your inbox.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Racing Association
Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series
King of America X powered by Summit – Night 1 of 2
Humboldt Speedway, Humboldt, Kan.
Friday, March 26, 2021
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver and hometown.
MEDIEVAL USRA STOCK CARS
1. (2) 15 Mitch Hovden, Decorah, Iowa
2. (7) 67 Kyle Falck, Decorah, Iowa
3. (1) 5KX Keith Simmons, Truro, Iowa
4. (3) 11K Darrin Korthals, Rock Rapids, Iowa
5. (6) 31 Ed Griggs, Pleasant Hill, Mo.
6. (5) 28D Gary Donaldson, Rayville, Mo.
7. (8) 91J Jaylen Wettengel, Topeka, Kan.
8. (4) 5K Steve Herrick, Topeka, Kan.
9. (9) 5H Matthew Herrick, Topeka, Kan.
1. (4) 808 Chance Hillman, Waukon, Iowa
2. (3) 55H Troy Hansmeier, Waukon, Iowa
3. (8) 2M Angel Munoz, Lamar, Colo.
4. (9) 21 Myles Michehl, Fort Dodge, Iowa
5. (1) 219 Joe Abrams, Topeka, Kan.
6. (6) 04 Chad Walker, Kansas City, Kan.
7. (7) 33T Thomas Ground, Kansas City, Mo.
8. (5) 87 Dylan Suhr, Waterloo, Iowa
9. (2) 7SR Shawn Ritter, Keystone, Iowa
1. (6) 32 Derek Green, Granada, Minn.
2. (1) 33 Kevin Donlan, Decorah, Iowa
3. (7) 11 Derek Brown, Stoutland, Mo.
4. (2) 23 Brayden Gjere, Mabel, Minn.
5. (5) 7 Doug Keller, Easton, Mo.
6. (4) 21P Darren Phillips, Wheatland, Mo.
7. (3) 5X Wayne Becker, Dakota Dunes, S.D.
8. (8) 74 Jason Josselyn, Alamogordo, N.M.
1. (5) 15 Mitch Hovden, Decorah, Iowa
2. (2) 808 Chance Hillman, Waukon, Iowa
3. (6) 33 Kevin Donlan, Decorah, Iowa
4. (16) 28D Gary Donaldson, Rayville, Mo.
5. (15) 7 Doug Keller, Easton, Mo.
6. (3) 2M Angel Munoz, Lamar, Colo.
7. (12) 23 Brayden Gjere, Mabel, Minn.
8. (17) 04 Chad Walker, Kansas City, Kan.
9. (20) 33T Thomas Ground, Kansas City, Mo.
10. (24) 74 Jason Josselyn, Alamogordo, N.M.
11. (10) 5KX Keith Simmons, Truro, Iowa
12. (11) 11K Darrin Korthals, Rock Rapids, Iowa
13. (4) 67 Kyle Falck, Decorah, Iowa
14. (1) 32 Derek Green, Granada, Minn.
15. (23) 87 Dylan Suhr, Waterloo, Iowa
16. (26) 7SR Shawn Ritter, Keystone, Iowa
17. (7) 11 Derek Brown, Stoutland, Mo.
18. (8) 55H Troy Hansmeier, Waukon, Iowa
19. (13) 31 Ed Griggs, Pleasant Hill, Mo.
20. (19) 91J Jaylen Wettengel, Topeka, Kan.
21. (25) 5H Matthew Herrick, Topeka, Kan.
22. (21) 5X Wayne Becker, Dakota Dunes, S.D.
23. (9) 21 Myles Michehl, Fort Dodge, Iowa
24. (14) 219 Joe Abrams, Topeka, Kan.
25. (22) 5K Steve Herrick, Topeka, Kan.
26. (18) 21P Darren Phillips, Wheatland, Mo.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USRA OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Beyea Headers, Chevrolet Performance, Christie Door Company, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers, KS Engineering, KSE Racing Products, Mesilla Valley Transportation, MSD, MyRacePass, Nitroquest Media, PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain, RacinDirt.com, Summit Racing Equipment, Sunoco Race Fuels.
USRA PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Boubin Tire & Automotive, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Day Motor Sports, Dealer Reconditioning Services, Forty9 Designs, Four Seven Designs Salon & Boutique, Hi-Tek Paving, Mensink Racing Products, PBM Performance Products, S&S Fishing & Rental, Texas Star Concrete Services, Traeger Wood Pellet Grills by Elliott Motorsports, YouDirt.com.
USRA CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Bryke Racing, BSB Manufacturing, Champ Pans, Edelbrock, Hooker Harness, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, Keyser Manufacturing, Landrum Performance Springs, Medieval Chassis, QA1, RacerWebsite.com, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Wehrs Machine & Racing Products, Wilwood Disc Brakes.
USRA RACETRACKS: 81 Speedway, 82 Speedway, Alien Motor Speedway, Ark-La-Tex Speedway, Belleville High Banks, Big O Speedway, Buffalo Creek Speedway, Caney Valley Speedway, Cedar Lake Speedway, Chateau Speedway, Creek County Speedway, Cresco Speedway, Dallas County Speedway, Deer Creek Speedway, Devil’s Bowl Speedway, Fayette County Speedway, Hamilton County Speedway, Humboldt Speedway, I-35 Speedway, I-90 Speedway, Lake Ozark Speedway, Lakeside Speedway, Lawton Speedway, Lebanon Midway Speedway, Longdale Speedway, Lucas Oil Speedway, Mason City Motor Speedway, Mississippi Thunder Speedway, Monarch Motor Speedway, Old 71 Speedway, Outlaw Motor Speedway, Randolph County Raceway, Rapid Speedway, Red Dirt Raceway, Revolution Park, Route 66 Motor Speedway, RPM Speedway, Sports Park Raceway, Springfield Raceway, Superbowl Speedway, Thunderbird Speedway, Tri-State Speedway, Upper Iowa Speedway, Vado Speedway Park, West Texas Raceway.