Following a silent weekend making way for the 64th Annual Hutchinson Grand Nationals, 81 Speedway’s weekly racing series roared back to life Saturday, July 25, atop the 3/8-mile oval in Park City, Kan. Racing action saw the Alternative Pest Management USRA Modifieds headline the action.
Debuting a brand new USRA Modified by VanderBuilt Race Cars, Wichita’s Brendon Gemmill raced to his second feature victory of 2020 in Alternative Pest Management USRA Modified action, attrition taking its toll on the rest of the field.
Starting third, Gemmill wasted little time working by Darren Moses and Jake Nightingale, claiming the lead by lap five. While Gemmill’s lead grew, Moses and Nightingale battled hard for second and Flyin’ Ryan McAninch stuck the nose of his No. 52 machine into the fray. McAninch worked his way under the No. 3J of Nightingale before the Hoover Mower Sales caution flag became a prevalent factor just after the midway point.
A strong restart enabled McAninch to slip by the No. 42 of Moses for second and set his sights on Gemmill for the lead. Using the bottom lane, McAninch drove under Gemmill briefly to take over the top spot. Not to be outdone, Gemmill worked the middle groove to power back around McAninch before another caution waved.
While all eyes were on the battle up front, points leader Cody Schniepp worked his No. 21C machine through the field from 17th on the starting grid, lining up fourth on the ensuing restart. Timing the restart well, Schniepp drove to the bottom of the speedway in turn one trying to sneak under McAninch for second, but door-to-door contact with McAninch sent both drivers spinning, slowing the race once again.
Nightingale attempted late-race heroics of his own, executing a slide job for the second spot at the exit of turn two before ending his night against the outside barrier in turn three.
The final restart saw Lucas Gibbs take his shot at the leader but Gemmill proved too strong and held on for the win.
Gibbs, Moses, Schniepp and Colton Eck were the top five finishers on the night with heat race wins going to Nightingale and Gemmill.
Racing returns to 81 Speedway next Saturday, August 1, with Alternative Pest Management USRA Modifieds topping the four-division card. Racing begins at 7 p.m.
For more information visit race81speedway.com and 81 Speedway on Facebook and Twitter.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Racing Association
Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series
81 Speedway, Park City, Kan.
Saturday, July 25, 2020
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver and hometown.
1. (3) 3J Jake Nightingale, Hutchinson, Kan.
2. (7) 21B Bryce Schniepp, Wichita, Kan.
3. (8) 5* Jason McGehee, Wichita, Kan.
4. (2) 69 Cecil Dymond, Goddard, Kan.
5. (4) 7CJ Chris Eveland, Hutchinson, Kan.
6. (1) X6 Dylan Allen, Chanute, Kan.
7. (5) 747 Colton Eck, Goddard, Kan.
8. (6) 2W Richard Wilson, Wichita, Kan.
9. (9) 21C Cody Schniepp, Wichita, Kan.
1. (1) G3 Brendon Gemmill, Wichita, Kan.
2. (5) 42 Darren Moses, Valley Center, Kan.
3. (6) 52 Ryan McAninch, Hutchinson, Kan.
4. (2) 71 Patrick McManus, Derby, Kan.
5. (7) 40 Jason Yager, El Dorado, Kan.
6. (4) 44 Braden Stoner, Wichita, Kan.
7. (8) G51 Lucas Gibbs, Udall, Kan.
8. (3) 7J Jerry Eveland, Wichita, Kan.
1. (3) G3 Brendon Gemmill, Wichita, Kan.
2. (11) G51 Lucas Gibbs, Udall, Kan.
3. (1) 42 Darren Moses, Valley Center, Kan.
4. (17) 21C Cody Schniepp, Wichita, Kan.
5. (15) 747 Colton Eck, Goddard, Kan.
6. (8) 71 Patrick McManus, Derby, Kan.
7. (4) 5* Jason McGehee, Wichita, Kan.
8. (7) 69 Cecil Dymond, Goddard, Kan.
9. (5) 52 Ryan McAninch, Hutchinson, Kan.
10. (2) 3J Jake Nightingale, Hutchinson, Kan.
11. (9) 40 Jason Yager, El Dorado, Kan.
12. (10) 44 Braden Stoner, Wichita, Kan.
13. (12) 7J Jerry Eveland, Wichita, Kan.
14. (6) 21B Bryce Schniepp, Wichita, Kan.
15. (16) 2W Richard Wilson, Wichita, Kan.
DNS – X6 Dylan Allen, Chanute, Kan.
DNS – 7CJ Chris Eveland, Hutchinson, Kan.