Lebanon's Dalton Keith made his first start at the Springfield Raceway Saturday on Military Appreciation Night and became the third different feature winner this season while getting his first win after taking the top spot from early leader Aaron Scroggins on lap 15.
With heavy rain in the area all week, owner/promoter Jerry Hoffman found a break in the Saturday morning weather, got the racy quarter-mile dirt oval ready for action and did not disappoint in providing an outstanding program for the night.
Following a two-row inversion, Neosho's Scroggins shot to the opening lead from his front row starting spot with some tight two- and three-wide racing behind the leader. Arkansas driver John Briggs brought out an early caution with problems and bunched the pack up as Scroggins, along with last year's rookie of the year Bill Schahuber, went to battle along with James Thompson, Jackie Dalton and Sam Petty while ninth-starting Keith was finding the middle groove to his liking and was making strong forward movement picking off spots every other lap.
With Scroggins staying on the top groove, it looked like he would be ready to get his first win of the year, but Keith was a rocket and driving hard in the turns. With five laps remaining, Keith pulled even with Scroggins and made the winning pass in turn one and drove away for the win despite a left front tire going flat and some left front damage as he clipped a tire low in the corner.
Keith had to overcome a two-spot penalty for jumping a restart in his qualifying heat race which pushed him to the ninth starting spot for th main event.
Following the first-time winner to the stripe was Scroggins, Petty, Dalton and Thompson.
Qualifying heats went to Briggs and Thompson.
Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series action presented by Reliable Chevrolet continues next Saturday, May 18, with the Out-Pace USRA B-Mods plus a full program of Modifieds, Midwest Modz, Pure Stocks, Legends and a special appearance by the ORCS Winged Sprint Cars.
For more information visit the track's Facebook page or SpringfieldRaceway.com.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Racing Association
Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series
Springfield Raceway, Springfield, Mo.
Saturday, May 11, 2019
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver and hometown.
Out-Pace USRA B-Mods
1. (3) 5* John Briggs, Bull Shoals, Ark.
2. (4) 55B Bill Schahuber, Springfield, Mo.
3. (1) 52M Jared Monger, Clever, Mo.
4. (6) 80 T.J. Yount, Greenfield, Mo.
5. (2) 29 Dalton Keith, Lebanon, Mo.
6. (5) 19 James Smith, Springfield, Mo.
7. (7) 3A Aaron Speck, Republic, Mo.
1. (1) 11T James Thompson, Springfield, Mo.
2. (3) 1/4 Aaron Scroggins, Neosho, Mo.
3. (4) 21 Jackie Dalton, Carthage, Mo.
4. (5) 9 Sam Petty, Marshfield, Mo.
5. (2) 32 Kelly Hicks, Pea Ridge, Ark.
6. (6) 15 Cayden Stacye, Springfield, Mo.
1. (9) 29 Dalton Keith, Lebanon, Mo.
2. (1) 1/4 Aaron Scroggins, Neosho, Mo.
3. (8) 9 Sam Petty, Marshfield, Mo.
4. (6) 21 Jackie Dalton, Carthage, Mo.
5. (3) 11T James Thompson, Springfield, Mo.
6. (2) 55B Bill Schahuber, Springfield, Mo.
7. (10) 32 Kelly Hicks, Pea Ridge, Ark.
8. (7) 80 T.J. Yount, Greenfield, Mo.
9. (13) 3A Aaron Speck, Republic, Mo.
10. (5) 52M Jared Monger, Clever, Mo.
11. (12) 15 Cayden Stacye, Springfield, Mo.
12. (11) 19 James Smith, Springfield, Mo.
13. (4) 5* John Briggs, Bull Shoals, Ark.