The 2019 racing season is officially underway at Chateau Speedway in Lansing, Minn. Friday night's season opener sponsored by Countryside Auto of Austin and Power 96 saw a great crowd and car count as everyone was anxious to see the season get underway.
With just two cautions through the 14 heat race events of the night, the first half of the program rolled off rather rapidly. After intermission the fast pace continued with defending track champion Kadden Kath of Owatonna taking advantage of a front row starting spot to lead flag to flag in the Out-Pace USRA B-Mod feature.
Matt Brooks of Austin drove a nice race coming from a row-three starting spot to take home a second-place finish. Alex Schubbe of North Mankato, who started along side Kath on the front row, came home third followed by Michael Wytaske of Hartland and Scott Demmer of Ellendale.
Demmer and Jeremy Schaufenbuel of New Hampton, Iowa, grabbed the Out-Pace USRA B-Mod heat race wins.
In USRA Modified action it was a clean sweep for Brandon Davis of Hayfield. After leading flag to flag for his heat win, he had to work from row four in the feature to score the season opening win.
Defending track champion Darwyn Karau led early before Davis caught him for the lead. Karau fell to third as Jason Cummins, working from row five, came up through the field to take the runner-up spot. Taton Hansen of Spicer, who finished fourth, was the only other car on the lead lap at the end of the race. Dustin Brown of Thornton Iowa took home fifth.
Karau had the other heat race win.
The season opener was delayed one week after snow and rain had the track to wet to work on and put officials behind on completing necessary upgrades to the facility. Among the changes was the realigning of the fence in front of the grandstand, as well as the victory lane and signage fence in the infield. The strong winds and snow from one of the spring storms had torn up the victory lane sign which had to be replaced for this year. The high water table this spring made drilling post holes and installing them a challenge as the holes filled with water as officials tried to complete there work.
The heavy rains this past week created more challenges as well as it had the track saturated and officials were not able to get on the track until late morning Friday after some much needed sunshine finally dried things out a bit. The rain also had the Cedar River up again leaving water standing in the infield creating Lake Chateau which comes and goes throughout the summer months.
But with all the weather drama behind them the track was able to kick off its 63rd anniversary season with all the action fans and drivers have been use to. Plenty of side-by-side and three-wide action highlighted the seven classes which packed the pits with 101 cars.
The season opener was just the first of what promises to be a very exciting summer at the track. The schedule features 22 race nights running through the two night 2nd Annual Autumn Extravaganza at the end of September. Several exciting specials are on the schedule for the year including Sunday, May 26, at 6 p.m. it will be the “Spirit of 83 Memorial.” which is a continuation of the “Mike Guttormson Memorial” which has been run Memorial Day Weekend since the former track champion and WISSOTA 100 champion passed away in 1997 after winning his final feature race at the track. The event, which was run as part of a regular Friday night show in the past, will now have its own night. USRA Modified drivers will be running for at least $1,600 to win on that Sunday night. Wrapping up the month of May on the 31st will be the popular Kids Night with youngsters getting a chance to climb in one of the cars and take a lap around the track prior to the races that night. There are also bike giveaways planned for that night.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Racing Association
Summit USRA Weekly Racing Series
Chateau Speedway, Lansing, Minn.
Friday, May 10, 2019
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver and hometown.
OUT-PACE USRA B-MODS
1. (4) 30 Scott Demmer, Ellendale, Minn.
2. (6) 33S Dustin Steinbrink, Austin, Minn.
3. (3) 72 Alex Schubbe, North Mankato, Minn.
4. (1) 51 Shawn Evans, Kenyon, Minn.
5. (2) 81K Caleb Korpi, Claremont, Minn.
6. (5) 02K Hunter Kennedy, St. Ansgar, Iowa
DNS – 44Z Anton Nelson, Hayfield, Minn.
DNS – 99 Noah Grinstead, Austin, Minn.
1. (6) 34 Jeremy Schaufenbuel, New Hampton, Iowa
2. (7) 83X Kadden Kath, Owatonna, Minn.
3. (3) 44 Matthew Brooks, Austin, Minn.
4. (2) 38 Michael Wytaske, Hartland, Minn.
5. (4) 73 Kenny Boge, Orchard, Iowa
6. (5) 83K Kobie Kath, Owatonna, Minn.
7. (1) 55 Brody Shaw, Brownsdale, Minn.
1. (1) 83X Kadden Kath, Owatonna, Minn.
2. (6) 44 Matthew Brooks, Austin, Minn.
3. (2) 72 Alex Schubbe, North Mankato, Minn.
4. (5) 38 Michael Wytaske, Hartland, Minn.
5. (10) 30 Scott Demmer, Ellendale, Minn.
6. (7) 34 Jeremy Schaufenbuel, New Hampton, Iowa
7. (4) 51 Shawn Evans, Kenyon, Minn.
8. (3) 73 Kenny Boge, Orchard, Iowa
9. (15) 99 Noah Grinstead, Austin, Minn.
10. (11) 02K Hunter Kennedy, St. Ansgar, Iowa
11. (8) 33S Dustin Steinbrink, Austin, Minn.
12. (12) 83K Kobie Kath, Owatonna, Minn.
13. (9) 81K Caleb Korpi, Claremont, Minn.
14. (14) 44Z Anton Nelson, Hayfield, Minn.
15. (13) 55 Brody Shaw, Brownsdale, Minn.
1. (1) 50 Brandon Davis, Hayfield, Minn.
2. (4) 71 Jason Cummins, New Richland, Minn.
3. (2) 96H Taton Hansen, Spicer, Minn.
4. (3) 73 Greg Pfeifer Jr., Austin, Minn.
5. (5) 24 Charlie Steinberg, Kasson, Minn.
6. (7) S43 Shaun Olson, Albert Lea, Minn.
7. (6) 51 Blake Arndt, Browndale, Minn.
1. (1) 23 Darwin Karau, Kasson, Minn.
2. (3) 7 A.J. Roschen, Somerset, Wis.
3. (5) 29H Joe Horgdal, Kasson, Minn.
4. (6) 65D Dustin Brown, Thornton, Iowa
5. (4) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
6. (2) 96 Greg Jensen, Albert Lea, Minn.
1. (8) 50 Brandon Davis, Hayfield, Minn.
2. (10) 71 Jason Cummins, New Richland, Minn.
3. (2) 23 Darwin Karau, Kasson, Minn.
4. (6) 96H Taton Hansen, Spicer, Minn.
5. (7) 65D Dustin Brown, Thornton, Iowa
6. (11) S43 Shaun Olson, Albert Lea, Minn.
7. (9) 7 A.J. Roschen, Somerset, Wis.
8. (4) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
9. (5) 29H Joe Horgdal, Kasson, Minn.
10. (1) 24 Charlie Steinberg, Kasson, Minn.
11. (12) 96 Greg Jensen, Albert Lea, Minn.
12. (3) 73 Greg Pfeifer Jr., Austin, Minn.
DNS – 51 Blake Arndt, Browndale, Minn.